Tuesday, July 19, 2016

July 19, 2016 - Nelson Mandela and African community.


July 19, 2016— Yesterday was Nelson Mandela’s birthday and our group visited NMMU (Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University) which is located on an animal reserve.   Afterwards we visited the Donkin Reserve and traveled through the surrounding area with a retired History professor who served as our tour guide stopping at Wezandla Gallery and Craft Center where I found a few items to place in my classroom culture corner to be shared with my third grade students.  We visited The Red Location (a small township) and I purchased a piece of pottery from a local artist that works and sells her items from her house.  Today, we visited The Love Life Center, an organization that focuses on HIV/AIDS prevention through the recruitment of young men and women who become “ground breakers”.  These young people work within their local community offering activities that support and encourage fellow community members to lead a positive and healthy lifestyle.  The commitment and positive attitude of these young workers made my heart smile.  They are definitely living by the idea “My future is up to me-Make your move – that is displayed on the posters in their center.

No comments:

Post a Comment