Saturday, August 13, 2016

August 11, 2016 - Farewell Emafini


August 11, 2016 -  Today was our last day at Emafini.  I visited “Tunki’s” 3rd grade room to give her a small gift and to thank her for allowing me to co-teach in her classroom.  The students were on their lunch/recess break.  Tunki was dressed in a brightly colored traditional Xhosa costume that included a matching shawl, purse and shoes.  Her face was painted as well.  She was delighted when I asked to take some pictures of her and flashed a large smile as I snapped several pictures of her.  After getting the school address and Tunki’s email address, I went outside to exchange goodbyes with several of the students and to take some final pictures of students playing, buying snacks and “hanging out.”  As soon I pulled out my camera, several students crowed around, eager to have their pictures taken.  They were always delighted when they were shown their picture on the camera.  I wished I had an old Polaroid camera that instantly printed  pictures so I could give them a copy.    I plan to have copies made when I return to the US so I can mail them to Tunki.  At noon, all of the American teachers met with all of the Emafini Staff in their teacher lounge/conference room.  Most of Emafini’s teachers were dressed in various traditional Xkhosa costumes and they all started singing lively songs in isiXhosa while several of them danced together in the center of the room.  Mr. McKay, the principal, and several other staff members gave short speeches in between the singing and small gifts were exchanged between our two groups.  Some of the teachers followed us to the parking lot for final farewells.  That evening, we were invited to Mr. McKay’s house for braai (bar-b-que).   His wife was very gracious and we were well fed with bar-b-que lamb, sausage, and chicken along with salads and dessert.  His youngest daughter entertained us by dancing and singing and the eldest daughter played the piano for us.   These friendly Xhosa people were extremely gracious and truly made us feel at home during our visit and left me with the impression that they would genuinely be missed.   Tomorrow, we fly to Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment