Monday, August 1, 2016

August 1, 2016 - isiXhosa

August 1, 2016 - I've decided that learning to speak Xhosa is going to be an up hill battle for me.  I've never taken a language before and I am soon to be 59!  I thought old dogs could learn new tricks, but this isiXhosa trick may be out of my reach with the exception of a few phrases of greeting.  My tongue and lips do not want to make the necessary mouth formations to correctly produce the three different clicking sounds and I have a difficult time remembering the different forms for singulars and plurals. "Nje Kubi!!!" (It is awful!).  Often, I just want to throw my hands up and shout, "Ndiyazama!  Andikwazi."  (I am trying!  I don't how).  I feel very frustrated that I am unable to keep it all straight, no matter how much I look over my notes, rewrite notes and practice.  Hopefully, the website will help.  It is very frustrating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment